Saturday, June 26, 2010

Am I ready?

I have three more days left. Actually, it's at the very tail end of this day, so really I only have two days left. I am not yet packed. I still have a very long list of things to do, and I also have a very long list of people to spend time with.

Currently, the entire back end of the house has been overrun by my belongings. Packing is a messy ordeal. First, you must spread everything out and organize it into piles. It's hard to really get an immediate grasp on what 100 lbs. of luggage is like, so you have to organize everything into different piles: Absolutely cannot live without and therefore must go into my carry-on, Heavy and therefore would really really like to fit in my carry-on if at all possible, Need but I can survive if it's lost, Don't really need but really want to bring so will find room for it if possible, and Why did I even think I would want or even COULD pack this?

Then, things get packed until you reach a point where you can't really pack any more because you need those things during the next few days, and you can't pack everything else, because you don't want those things in your carry-on.... So right now, I'm at the point where I can finally start to finish my packing. Currently, it appears as though both of my rooms have exploded and bled into the hallways and computer room.



In other words, people are constantly asking me if I'm ready. This, to me, seems to be a loaded question. Am I ready, as in, am I packed? Or am I ready, as in am I mentally and emotionally prepared to move away from my friends and family for two years into a world of complete unknown: unknown people, unknown language, unknown job... I suppose the easy answer is "HELL NO!" How one exactly goes about "preparing" to leave home and live overseas completely alone for two years, I am not sure. And I mean, physically, mentally, and emotionally. How does one prepare for this? How does one pack for this? Maybe once I get there I'll realize either that I wasn't prepared, which will come as no surprise, or I'll be surprised to discover that I have been prepared all along... I suppose we shall see.

1 comment:

  1. I can't even imagine trying to pack for two years! I'm impressed with your method. I highly doubt I'd be so organized.

    I love you and I'm excited to hear about your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete